Sunday, May 9, 2010

Expectations


Well its been almost 2 weeks since the Wilson Fat Tire Race. To say I was pretty pumped for this event is a understatement. Local trail knowledge is always an advantage, especially on a trail as challenging as Wilson and I know those 17 miles of trail like the back of my hand. Also adding to my expectations was the fact that I had rode a personal best lap of 1:42:45 the weekend before during a race tempo practice lap. So, needless to say I had set my bar pretty high.

As we lined up for the race, I had made the decision to start up front and stay with the lead group at least through the first technical section. We bolted out of the start and down the 1/4 mile of asphalt road towards the trail. The mass of racers had done a nice job of spreading out and we funneled into the tight singletrack without any problems and I was right where I wanted to be near the front. The pace was pretty fast and I hitched on the rear derailer of Brad Smith as we approached the first tight rocky section. Things were looking good for us until we encountered the one thing that every racer dreads, a rider that will not let you pass. Brad yelled out several times that he wanted to pass but this guy would not give an inch. Finally, after several attempts, Brad was able to find a slightly wider spot in the trail that allowed him to squeeze by. My attempt to pass also met with the same results but as we reached the first of the rocks I was able to take a different line and get around this rider. Unfortunately for me, Brad and the lead pack were long gone.

I settled into a good steady pace and was able to navigate up tower hill and through the rock garden without any problems. As we went past the second road crossing I felt good and my time was right on schedule. The next area is my favorite part of the trail and I call it the rollercoaster section. As you cross the road, there is an immediate steep downhill drop that ends in a sharp right had turn and from there this section is full of short climbs, sharp turns and afew jumps and boulders mixed in. I navigated Stegosaurus drop and Pine drop without any issues and headed past the Wilson Park office. After a short stair step climb and then the fast decent towards the third road crossing I began to navigate around the Marina section. At around mile eight, Steve Dutton and Dave Nily passed me and it was at this point I began to feel my pace had slowed just abit but I still felt pretty good.

I continued on towards the bridge and I noticed my time was definitely no longer on target. I was running about 1 minute slower than I needed to be. As I entered the newest technical section, Jeff Zook had pulled up behind and I slowed to allow him to pass. Around mile 11, I pulled even with a rider who was slowly walking his bike up a short climb. It was Brad, he had started to cramp up and was in pretty bad shape. Since there was nothing I could do for him I continued on towards the bridge. As I passed under the bridge I began to really sense my legs were feeling dead and after reaching the top of another short steep climb at the 14 mile mark it hit me, CRAMPS! They started in my left hip and quickly moved down that leg and then very quickly both legs were on fire. I coasted down the hill and when I came to a stop I was not able to turn my ankles to get unclipped from the pedals so I just fell over narrowly missing a cactus bed. After what seemed like forever, I was able to get unclipped and pull myself up to a kneeling position. This was my first ever experience with cramps and let me tell you the pain is excruciating. After slowly walking several hundred yards, the pain eased enough to allow me to get back on the bike. As I headed towards Cabin Hill, needless to say I was very concerned that the cramps would return. But, to my surprise they did not and I was able to finish the race.

The time I spent walking had cost me 7 or 8 minutes and it showed in my finishing time. My time of 1:52:30 was still good enough for 3rd place in my class. However, for me it isn't about where I finish as much as it is about meeting my expectations. Unfortunately, I was not able to reach that bar this time but I will keep pushing forward and looking to improve.

Until next time, stay "Clipped in and Crankin".

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike
    Cramps.... btdt.
    You probably know this already, but...
    On cool days, most of us are more blase about our fluids etc. Not good.
    If you do gels you need to drink even more water and take electrolytes. Gels really complicate the whole hydration issue. If you don't replace electrolytes, and you have gel in your gut, it will actually further dehydrate your blood, making the cramps much more likely. You can't absorb the carbs in the gel if the electrolyte balance in your blood is screwed up. Hydration always comes 1st - nutrition 2nd.
    Of course we can still get cramps w/o gels, especially in hot, dry weather.
    Oh and don't over do it. Overhydration sucks too.
    Hammer makes a product called Endurolyte. It is a capsule with electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium) in good balance. You can carry them with you in a plastic coin purse under the edge of your shorts on your thigh where you can access them while riding. I take 1-2 every half hr or so. wfm!
    Good luck next race!
    bob

    ReplyDelete