Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Thrill of Victory




Well this is my first post since the fabulous Wilson Fat Tire Race. As usual Doug Chambers puts on an outstanding event and it brings out most of the top riders in Kansas. There were 100 racers total and in addition to all the local riders, there were large groups from the Wichita area, from Emporia and also from Kansas City. One of the great things about mountain biking is being around all the great people.

In this blog installment, I will concentrate on the race results of my lovely wife Linda (also know as LJ).

The race format for Wilson had the Cat 3 racers going off at 10:00 am and doing a shorter 10 mile course. This would be perfect for me since I didn't start until 12:15. So, I was able to follow LJ around the trail giving her moral support and snapping afew pics. This is another thing that makes Wilson a great race venue, you can venture out to numerous spots and follow your favorite riders. I am very proud of Linda! She has really been training hard for Wilson and this was just her second solo race. She also did the Camp Alexander race last year and we have done Cruise the Blues several time as a team.

I had encouraged LJ to start towards the front because I knew she could ride all the early technical rock sections and I didn't want her to get caught behind the hike-a-bikers in that area. As is turned out, this was the right move for her as she was able to cruise through that area and really get off to a good start. Linda made it up "Tower Hill" and across the first road crossing without any problems. She crossed the road and navigated the "Roller coaster Section" in good time. Up "5 Mile Hill", down through the "Marina Section" and on to the cut-off. Up "Cabin Hill", down past the park office and into the super fast finishing section. LJ made it through her race without any major issues and finished 1st in her class with a very respectable time of 1:08:30

It is very gratifying for me to watch how far LJ has come in the past year and now she is enjoying the fruits of her labor. Her improvement has been outstanding and she will only become a better rider as she acquires more technical skills. For me, I might enjoy watching her race more than racing myself.

I will post again in a day or two with the results of my race at Wilson. Until then, "Stay Clipped In and Crankin".

(LEFT) LJ getting pre-race info
(BELOW) LJ and Sandy-Gilmore McMullen before the race

No comments:

Post a Comment