Monday, April 12, 2010

Squeezing in a ride or two

Well this past 2 weeks have been full of non-biking activities. The work load at the office has really picked up and I have an increasing number of family commitments. All of this has put a dent in my free time and caused me to miss both the "Lawrence River Trail" race as well as the "Battle at the Bird" race in OKC this past weekend. But, even with everything I have going on, I have still have been able to squeeze in a ride or two on the local Ark River trail as well as Wilson. A little seat time is better than no seat time at all.

My recent rides at Wilson have focused solely on getting Linda more comfortable with the 8 mile beginner loop. She is progressing nicely as we inch closer to the Fat Tire Race held there in afew weeks. Her confidence level is getting higher and she is a much better rider than she gives herself credit for. This past Sunday we were joined on our Wilson ride by Sandy Gilmore-McMullen and Karen Copeland.

I did have abit of a set back one week ago with one of those "how did that happen moments". On one of those Wilson rides, as I headed towards the base of tower hill, I reached the first road crossing and intentionally went air born as I jumped from the trail to cross the asphalt road. Not sure how or why it happened, but when I landed, my front tire was not lined up and I went down immediately. Needless to say, the human body is not built to handle a collision with asphalt at 20 miles per hour. The helmet really saved a serious injury but unfortunately my ribs really took the brunt of the impact. Luckily, the Superfly had no major damage. As many of you know, sore ribs are not much fun.

This week finds me in Perryton, Texas doing some business so I will miss that fantastic Tuesday night river ride. I will have to really pick up the pace the end of this week to make up for the 3 days off from riding. I need to find a job that pays me to ride my mountain bike. If anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Until next time, stay "Clipped in and Crankin".

No comments:

Post a Comment